Published: 27th October, 2013
Last edited: 8th December, 2013
Created: 27th October, 2013
Starting with the word 'decay', I went very literal with my typeface by observing the shrivelling skin and flesh of fruit. How the process of decay distorts and deforms an image but yet, can still remain constant. I continued to develop this idea but struggled to recreate it using fontstruct. So back to the drawing board and after further primary research looking at fungi, foliage and rust along the river path, I began sketching the weed 'horse weed'. In its dried state I found letterforms manifesting in the stems and seed pods and developed these sketches further, then recreated them on fontstruct. I encountered many difficulties at first as the design appeared more of a pixel drawing than a typeface. Deciding that I would be able to get finer detail by creating it on a larger scale I did some experimentation with various bricks before determining that the half pixel brick gave me the effect I desired.